Family Nurse Practitioner Discussion-Paper
Family Nurse Practitioner Discussion-Paper
Overview/Description of Final Paper: The final written assignment will synthesize what you have discovered about the different advanced practice roles and scope of practice found in the master of nursing curriculum: APRNs, nurse educator, nurse informaticist, and nurse administrator/executive. You will review all roles and then examine the specialty for which you were admitted, focusing on the scope of practice, core competencies, certification requirements, and legal aspects of practice for that specific role. You will also identify the practice environment and population you will be working with, as well as peers and colleagues. In addition, you will discuss your future leadership role and participation in professional organizations.
Your paper is to be based on current literature, standards of practice, core competencies, and certification bodies for your chosen role. The paper should be 8-10 pages excluding the title and reference pages, and APA format is required.
Advanced Practice Roles in Nursing:Briefly define advance nursing practice and the roles in advanced practice nursing pertaining to clinical practice, primary care, education, administration, and health information. Distinguish between ANP and the APN.
Describe the advance nursing practice role you aspire and briefly share the experiences and/or qualities you have that have influenced your decision. Include your personal philosophy.
Selected Advanced Practice Role:Identify the AP you interviewed and summarize the interview, which should/may include (if not in the interview, please address):
Examine regulatory and legal requirements for the state in which you plan to practice/work.
Describe the professional organizations available for membership based on your selected role.
Identify required competencies (domains), including certification requirements for your selected role.
Describe the organization and setting, population, and colleagues with whom you plan to work.
Leadership Attributes of the Advanced Practice Role:Determine your leadership style
Define Transformational Leadership and as it relates to your identified leadership attributes that you possess or need to develop
Apply the leadership style you will embrace in AP to one of the domains
Health Policy and the Advanced Practice Role
Based on your program of study, review the literature and address the following:
FNP/AGNP:Medicare reimbursement for NPs is 85%for the same health care that MDs receive at 100% reimbursement? Please address questions below and state your position on this mandate.
FNP/AGNP:What states have NP Full Practice Authority and which states have limitations or restrictions? How does this apply to your state? Please address questions below and state your position on this regulation.
Nurse Executive: What is value based care and how will it impact decisions made at the executive level relative to nursing and AP nursing? Please address and state your position on the regulation.
Nurse Informaticists:What law(s) was enacted to regulate health information? Please address questions below and state your position on this regulation.
Nurse Educator:What agency regulates nursing education? Explain in detail.
For the above category chosen, address the following:
Describe the current policy or trends and determine if it needs to change; if opposed to change state why
Provide the process required to make the change with key players and parties of interest; support opposition
Explain how you could lead the effort to make or influence the change in policy or keep the policy the same and the impact in healthcare quality.
Conclusion-Summarize your role paper by highlighting key points made in your paper.
Must be APA 6th edition format with an abstract.
You must proofread your paper. But do not strictly rely on your computer’s spell-checker and grammar-checker; failure to do so indicates a lack of effort on your part and you can expect your grade to suffer accordingly. Papers with numerous misspelled words and grammatical mistakes will be penalized. Read over your paper – in silence and then aloud – before handing it in and make corrections as necessary. Often it is advantageous to have a friend proofread your paper for obvious errors. Handwritten corrections are preferable to uncorrected mistakes.
Use a standard 10 to 12 point (10 to 12 characters per inch) typeface. Smaller or compressed type and papers with small margins or single-spacing are hard to read. It is better to let your essay run over the recommended number of pages than to try to compress it into fewer pages.
Likewise, large type, large margins, large indentations, triple-spacing, increased leading (space between lines), increased kerning (space between letters), and any other such attempts at “padding” to increase the length of a paper are unacceptable, wasteful of trees, and will not fool your professor.
The paper must be neatly formatted, double-spaced with a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides of each page. When submitting hard copy, be sure to use white paper and print out using dark ink. If it is hard to read your essay, it will also be hard to follow your argument.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
- For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
- Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
- Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
- Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
- The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
- Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
- If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
- I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
- As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
- Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
- Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
- Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.